CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Our Family

Monday, January 10, 2011

Poppie

As some of you may know my grandfather passed away mid December at 92 years old. I took an emergency trip out to Phoenix in October to spend some time with him and say good bye, just in case. I will never get over how happy I am that I took that trip. I think it is few and far between the people who consciously get to say goodbye to their loved ones and I have had the opportunity to do it twice. A true, true blessing.

Also, since I couldn't have said it better myself, I have stolen this shamelessly from my brother:
"I would like to give a shout out to my grandfather. His name was Warren but we called him Poppie. Babe Ruth and Louis Gehrig once yelled "Hey Red, come here and get in this picture with us!" when he was a 12 year old working the fishing boats in Brooklyn. Had drinks with Louis Armstrong in the late 30's because his roommate at the time grew up in the same orphanage as the legend...Was born during World War 1, was nine years old when the television was invented, went through the depression, WW2… loved Benny Goodman, Frank Sinatra & Dean Martin…. raised a beautiful family, had wonderful friends, and was loved by everyone who was lucky enough be to in his presence."

Heaven surely got an angel and my grandmother, well, I know nothing pleased her more than seeing the love of her life again. See below for his obituary. He was too good of a man not to share.


Warren E. Gallagher

| Visit Guest Book

Gallagher, Warren E.
Warren E. Gallagher passed away December 16, 2010, in the Health Care Center at Friendship Village of Tempe, AZ. Warren was born May 16, 1918 in Brooklyn, NY. He was preceded in death by Ruth, his loving wife of 60 years and his grandson David. Warren was a devoted father and grandfather who will be greatly missed by his loving children Elaine (Al) Rutherford, David Gallagher (Bette Kibble), Nancy (Jim) Creighton Brown, and Donna (Bob) Bassett, nine grandchildren, sixteen great-grandchildren, and his "very special friend" Shirley Brandt. Warren served in the US Army, and met Ruth through mutual friends just after his discharge. They were married in 1947, and lived on Long Island, NY before moving to Scottsdale, AZ in 1959. Warren was a successful insurance salesman, and over the years was an active member/leader in several congregations of the Methodist Church. He and Ruth moved to Friendship Village in 1992 where they became involved in a variety of activities, and many wonderful friends sustained him after her death in January, 2008. Warren celebrated his 90th birthday with family and friends in May, 2008, and was still dancing with Shirley until he was almost 92! In spite of many challenges, Warren went through his recent illness the same way he went through life - with a positive attitude, determination, and appreciation for his many blessings, including all who provided care and support in his final months. Dance with your guardian angels, Dad - your work here on earth is finished.